Thursday, May 19, 2011

The return of the...scrunchie?

Well, at least just in my kitchen anyway.  Let me explain.  I had some leftover fabric from my stool makeover so I decided to put it to good use.  (Thanks to my  MIL for the idea and know-how!)  When we hung the DIY chandeliers, a bit of the paint on the chains scraped off.  (see picture below)  Instead of trying to touch up the missing paint sections, I made "scrunchies" for the chains.  They are so simple to make and really give the kitchen and dining room a nice touch of warmth and texture.

Here's a close-up of the chain that suffered from the installation process:


And here is what it looks like after the makeover:


...A pic of both chandeliers together:



...The dining room chandelier:


...And the kitchen chandelier:


If you'd like to try this at home, here's how:

1.  Cut long strips of your fabric.  (At least the length and a half of your chandelier chain)
2.  Make a seam by folding the sides of the fabric in and iron flat.
3.  Fold the top down, and iron flat. (See pic below)

4.  Wrap the fabric around the chain (starting at the top).
5.  Use a glue gun to glue sides together.  (Go slow, and do small sections at a time to avoid drying.)
6.  Scrunch up fabric as you move down the chain.
7.  Step back, enjoy!

Well, you're not going to believe this when I tell you, but, I'VE FINALLY FINISHED THE SETTEE MAKEOVER!  Pictures are coming...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment