Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Family Room Makeover #1

Good Morning! This next before and after segment is going to be a two-part series. Today I’m going to be showing you the before and after pics of our family room from when we first moved in, and the first paint job/makeover. Tomorrow I’ll show you what it looks like today (still a work in progress…but much improved I think.)

It’s been 4 years and I finally think I’ve figured out what my “style” is. I really like vintage cottage and farmhouse themes and color schemes and am drawn to rooms that give you that relaxed, airy feeling when you walk into them. So hopefully that is the same “vibe” you get when you see them too…

But First, Lets take a look around and see where we started. 

 
 Family Room Before:

 
Family Room After, makeover #1 
 
 
Before Angle #2:
 
 
After, Angle #2: 
 
 
Before, Angle #3: 

 
After, Angle #3:


As you can see I chose beige for the walls….a true indicator that at the time I had no clue what my style was or what direction to go in with the room. (It was Sherwin Williams "Balanced Beige")  I did however know that I wanted to brighten up the space and bring it into this century by painting all of the baseboards and window trim bright white. I used “Extra White” by Sherwin Williams. It took me 2 coats of oil-based primer and 2 coats of paint to get it to look like this.

I also decided to paint the brick on our fireplace in the family room. I went back and forth on that for a long time before finally taking the plunge…and am so glad that I did. 

Fireplace before:

 
Fireplace after:


 

 
Big difference right?  It feels much cleaner and makes the whole room look a lot brighter. 
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s after, after shots when I give this room a cottage chic update! 

No comments:

Post a Comment